The ultimate layover handbook
Forget fast food and depressing duty-free. Here's how to actually enjoy a layover - at 15 top airports around the globe.
(Fortune Magazine) -- 1. Boston, Logan International Airport Create your own seafood fest at home after a stop at Anthony's Pier 4 Fish Co. in Terminal B. It will pack up live lobsters to carry onboard. massport.com
2. London, Heathrow Airport From a 15-minute neck massage to a full rub down, the new Rejuve spa in Terminal 1 is the stuff of airport legend. rejuve.info
3. Reykjavik, Keflavik Airport Reykjavik Excursions runs tours from the airport to the Blue Lagoon, a geothermal bath with a lava cave. re.is
4. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport View Dutch masters from the city's famed Rijksmuseum at a rotating exhibit near passport control. Catch "Really Rembrandt?" till early November.
5. Minneapolis-St. Paul Intl. Airport Take a $2, 11-minute train ride to the epic Mall of America, where you'll find 520 stores.
6. San Francisco International Airport Get some peace and quiet at the Berman Reflection Room in the main hall of the International Terminal. For location, go to flysfo.com.
7. Singapore, Changi Airport Plunge into the pool at the Ambassador Transit Hotel in Terminal 1. A $9-a-day pass gets you a towel, shower, and a drink.
8. Vancouver International Airport Fifteen dollars gives you all-day access to the Fairmont hotel's gym, lap pool, and sauna right near the international terminal. fairmont.com
9. Chicago, Midway Intl. Airport iTunes be damned. Go retro at the airport outpost of longtime Chicago music store George's Music Room. georgesmusicroom.com
10. Dallas/Forth Worth Intl. Airport Ditch your diet and head to Dickey's Barbeque in Terminals A, C, and E for pulled pork or slow-cooked beef brisket. dfwairport.com
11. Hong Kong International Airport The east wing of the departures level is virtual Rodeo Drive. Don't miss Chanel, Dior, and Hermès.
12. Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi Airport See a Thai boxing match. If you've got five hours, you can make it from the airport to a local stadium and back. tourismthailand.org
13. Buenos Aires, Jorge Newbery Airport Freaked out about flying? Schedule an appointment with the newly installed licensed psychiatrist's office on the premises. podervolar.net
14. Nashville International Airport Stop by the A/B or C/D terminals or baggage claim and catch live local music on three stages, featuring everything from bluegrass to jazz. See artsattheairport.com for schedules.
15. Kuala Lumpur International Airport Visit the free enclosed rainforest in the international terminal, or buy a $24 pass to the Plaza Premium Lounge, where there's a putting green and free beer. plaza-ppl.com